Anyone want to take a guess what country this is from? I guess this will be successful among the Furry fans.
Warning: The above video could be slightly disturbing.
So apparently this is a thing. I can’t for the life of me understand it. It’s just bizarre to me.
For years it sat on a farmhouse wall gathering dust.
And when Fiona McLaren redecorated, she didn’t even take the time to cover the apparently worthless painting in a protective sheet, so it got flicked in specks of paint.
However, in an astounding twist it has emerged that the picture is likely to have been the work of master artist Leonardo da Vinci and worth over £100million.
Can you imagine a da Vinci was just in your possession and you didn’t even bother to protect it before painting a room? It’s amazing how artifacts get lost and then rediscovered in time. Sobering to think how many were likely thrown out because their owners didn’t even realize what they had.
Kober’s parents had stored the painting under a couch for 25 years after getting it as a gift from the sister-in-law of Kober’s great-great-grandfather. She had received it from a German baroness more than a century ago.
It’s amazing to think that someone had what is quite possibly a Michelangelo just sitting under their couch for 25 years.
It’s the 4th of July weekend here in the US. Today’s BBQ1 got me thinking about that conspiracy theory from Father of the Bride regarding the mismatch of hot dogs quantities and hot dog bun quantities. Steve Martin’s character goes nuts over the discrepancy.
This is really an exercise in Least Common Multiples that no teacher seems to exploit (at least none that I ever had).
Research tells me that the reality of this joke is a little more complicated than 8 hot dogs and 12 buns. It may even vary based on location. From what I can tell the most common hot dog packages are 8 and 10, while the most common bun packages are 10 and 12. That means a 10/10 purchase is a win in terms of efficiency. I suspect there are more combinations, but 8/10 and 10/12 seem to be the most common. Here’s a table of the possibilities:
|Hot Dog Qty.||Hot Dog Bun Qty.||Least Common Multiple||Least Hot Dog Packages||Least Hot Dog Bun Packages|
This leaves me to question: who profits more from this? To figure this out, we’d need to know buying habits of people and costs involved in producing, packaging, shipping these goods. I don’t have that on hand, but I can draw a pretty graph of how many packages of each you’d need to not waste food:
So it looks like we’ll be eating hot dogs in sandwich bread and making tiny sandwiches out of left over hot dog buns for years to come.
1. Technically you grill hot dogs (hot and fast), not BBQ (low and slow) but American etymology is funny.
This has internet meme written all over it. It might be the first time a YouTube comment provides some relevant context:
The first viewing, you wonder “what the hell”. Second viewing, you’re thinking “this is kinda funny”. Viewings 3-10, you know now this is hilarious. After 15-25 viewings, you wonder if you have a problem. 26-49 makes you appreciate the sociological undertones of Sex Robot. 50+ viewings and you recognize it as your new God.
Warning: It may get stuck in your head.
wikiHow is an interesting site with some pretty informative pages. However it also has some things that are just outright amusing, questionable, or potentially capable of giving you a nosebleed if you try to read them.
I’ve went through many of them and found some of the hidden gems. Here are some of my favorites along with some colorful commentary:
- How to Give a Man Hug – There’s a lot of detail here. I almost feel like I need a cheat sheet. This is only the first link, it’s a downward spiral from here. You’ve been warned.
- How to Blend With Trekkies Socially – I’m curious how many have actually needed this article. I’d also like to know how many have actually wanted to.
- How to Get a Weird Nerd to Stop Following You (for Guys and Girls) – Speechless.
- How to Look Like Tina Turner for a Fancy Dress Party – Is this a common desire? Ladies? Please chime in.
- How to Find Locations to Wear Bikini when Summer Time Is Over – Is this a common desire ladies?
- How to Become a Philosopher – From Pluto to Plato in only 10 simple steps!
- How to Dress Like a Hippie – I’m guessing kids today couldn’t figure this out without Google.
- How to Brush Your Teeth in the Shower – How about get up 90 seconds earlier? Worst case mouthwash and a cup in an emergency.
- How to Get a Girl to Hate You – Who needs to read up on how to do this? Unless you’re Giacomo Casanova, getting people to hate you is one of the easiest things to do. Getting people to like you needs an article.
- How to Deal With a Boyfriend Who Is Obsessed With Your Butt – How to date Sir Mix-a-Lot.
- How to Deal With Having a Big Butt As a Teenager – I’m sure Jennifer Lopez, Jessica Biel had it rough too, and they survived without a how to article. For them it turned out to be an ass-et. [Haaa! I kill me].
- How to Work out Who You’ve Woken up Next to After a Heavy Night – This might also be the plot to the sequel to The Hangover.
- How to Tell if You Have Started Puberty (for Girls) – I was never a teenage girl, but I’m pretty sure most girls don’t need this. Possibly all.
- How to Give Yourself a Brazilian Wax – Here’s one I will never execute on. If I ever did, I’d hire a professional. This doesn’t seem like a DIY job.
- How to Pierce Your Own Penis – Ahhhhh. This better be some sort of sick joke. Do not attempt this. Ever. It shouldn’t be done period, and especially not DIY. There doesn’t seem to be a female equivalent for this. I guess they are more sensible.
- How to Hide An Erection – I’ll summarize: cover and think of something disgusting until it goes away.
- How to Get Baptized on Your Period – To quote “Let the blood flow. Hey, if God can turn the waters to blood, so can you” and “Roll with it. If the water becomes noticeably redder exclaim ‘The blood of Christ runs through me! Hallelujah!'”.
- How to Stop Staring at a Girl’s Boobs – It’s not that easy.
That concludes this tour of the Internet. I hope you had fun.