Microsoft Office 2008 Updater Hang

Had I known about this bug earlier I would have saved about 90 minutes of my afternoon setting up a new MacBook Pro for my mom. Apparently since the last security update, the installer script for SP1 can no longer operate correctly resulting in an internal hang with low CPU. Killing the installer process shows an Apple Events error.

I ended up doing something a little different:

1. I ran ps -u [USERNAME] killing any Microsoft related processes. I kept the terminal window open (this is key).
  2. Ran Installer again. This time it was successful
  3. Looked at above ps output and found where the updater program downloaded the installer. It’s generally /Users/[USERNAME]/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/[RAND]Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0). The download is over 100 MB, so that can save a few minutes.
  4. Ran updater again until no more updates found

You could follow the directions, logout and login again with the shift key held down, the only downside is the auto updater will re-download the update (which is over 100 MB).

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Microsoft Office 2008 Updater Hang”

1. Brant says:

THANK YOU!!!

Did a force-quit of the hung installer.

Just went to the download in the area you post – clicked it – and installed perfectly.

2. Ian says:

Thanks Robert – that’s what I needed!

3. Shad says:

Thank you. Worked perfectly for me!

4. Pierre says:

There is an easier and simpler way to get pass the error. The installer for SP1 does hang, and produces an error dialogue box that is hidden behind the Autoupdater screens. Just minimize each screen until the dialogue box is exposed and click “edit”. A script screen will appear and the installer will continue and complete. JUST CLOSE THE SCRIPT SCREEN.
    All other updates will run properly.

5. jeff kamis says:

Thanks Pierre,

that worked too.

6. ggibber says:

I followed Pierre’s advise. Just clicked on the dialogue box on “edit” after minimizing the installer screen, and it popped to life!

Thank you!!