My predictions, like many others were mostly off. So here’s my observations of todays festivities and announcements.
It’s MacWorld tomorrow. I’ll be watching the net closely to see what the almighty Steve announces. I’ve got the following predictions:
- Mac OS X 10.5 Announced (99% Chance) – That means I get to be a geek and preorder from the Apple store.
- More Video/Movies On iTunes (95% Chance) – This will be a big focus since Apple really wants this market.
- .Mac Overhaul (80% Chance) – Don’t really care about this one personally since I don’t use the service.
- iTV (72% Chance) – I doubt it’s ready. Either an announcement to expect summer delivery, and/or a more detailed preview. I could be wrong, but I don’t think they are ready.
- Incremental Bumps For Various Computers (70% Chance) – Rather lame and generic for a prediction, but I think at least 1 computer line (most likely iMac, and Mac Pro) will see a speed bump. For the Mac Pro it would make most sense, since Intel just announced Quad Core Xeons.
- Airport Extreme 802.11n Edition (68% Chance) – The rumors exist, and I think there is a decent shot. They likely need it for iTV.
- Phone (60% Chance) – If it is, it will be the fabled ‘iPhone’, though likely under another name. Only reason I give it 60% odds is because of all the press. Otherwise I’d put it down to 25%. I don’t think it’s extremely likely, but there is to much press to ignore. Then again, I’m still waiting for my Apple PDA (ended up being the iPod).
- New iPod (51% Chance) – I’m going out on a limb here. Despite pretty much no press, I think it’s time for the full screen iPod, with a true chipset designed for the purpose of video. I mentioned this before.
- Software Upgrade(50% Chance) – Very likely some software, either an iWorks upgrade, or iTunes version.
So there are my predictions. I do believe it will be a very busy MacWorld with more announcements than usual. I expect volume to be one of the more notable things. A lot of things on all fronts. Not so much of a war on Microsoft, but a big grab at the “digital lifestyle”.
Lets see how I pan out this year.
According to Rob Enderle, I’ll be pre-ordering Leopard shortly after Christmas. Hopefully Leopard on PPC won’t suck yet. There still millions of us out there with those PPC chips.