I’ve gotten several emails about this now, so it’s time for an update. I’ve been busy with many other projects, and have been slow on this for a little while. It’s almost at 0.1 (our first release). Asa’s working on some icon love, and I’ve been testing a few things. I’m hoping to have a release out soon (few more weeks). Some general notes in no particular order or relevance (make what you will of it):
- Supporting just about every field we can possibly support on the iPod
- Sync speed isn’t bad.
- 0.1 may be Windows only (recommended). It will install and [attempt] on the Mac, but I haven’t tested the code. So if someone is willing to give feedback, I’d welcome it.
- International support may be an issue. Not only aren’t we localizing yet (we will, volunteers will be called upon in a future release), but I’m not sure all character sets work just right. Will need people to check on that.
- Linux isn’t a supported iPod platform, but if someone is willing to answer some questions, leave me a comment with a real email address (never displayed online), and I’ll ask you what I need to know to add support.
- All iPods with Address Book capabilities will be supported. See Apple’s website if you are unsure if your model does. As I recall 1st generation iPods don’t support it.
- I do plan on supporting Calendar once the Lightning project stabilizes a bit and materializes. I don’t think it’s worth aiming at a moving target (at least at that rate of speed). Once releases are made and we start thinking about end users actually using it (rather than dreaming), that’s when I will get on that.
0.1 will be a rather rough release, just to get an idea of what we can do, and how it can be done. It’s far from a release quality product, and only recommended for those willing to give detailed feedback for fixing bugs.
Update [12-26-2005]: It’s out, and available here.