Firefox freeze on Slashdot comments

I’ve noticed since Firefox 0.8, it sometimes goes to 99% CPU, and just seems to freeze when commenting on slashdot. I’m curious if anyone else has seen this, or has any idea what causes this.

I haven’t seen this every time either. I’m thinking it has something to do with the ad system on the site, but I can’t say that for sure. It’s been bothering me for some time, so any comments, or bug links (if someone pinpointed it already), would be really welcome.

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “Firefox freeze on Slashdot comments”

1. Matti says:

OS ?
    Which flash plugin do you have installed ?

2. Robert says:

Running XP Pro SP 1, and Flash 7.0 r19.

Doesn’t lockup on any other site using flash.

3. Luke says:

I’m on XP Pro SP 1 without Flash, and I’ve yet to experience this. I’ve posted comments to Slashdot a few times since 0.8 was released.

4. Tim says:

What do you mean by freeze? Firefox stops responding when I open the comments for a story in a separate window and I can no longer switch between windows until it loads the page. I’ve noticed this problem with Mozilla Suite as well with sites that have long pages.

5. I’ve never had that problem with Firefox 0.8. In fact, it’s been perfect ever since I installed it on the day it came out.

Maybe it’s because I don’t use tons of extensions?

6. Bestiarosa says:

Firefox 1.5 Deer Park freezes when loading some particular pages, such as http://www.repubblica.it.
    I don’t have tons of extensions: just Fasterfox and Flashgot.

7. Firefox Freezes says:

Ever since 1.5 I freeze fairly often. Never before that.

Windows XP 2 proc opteron

8. I had problems with Firefox freezing when loading some pages. The problem turned out to be some bad fonts! Other people have seen this font problem, too. Look in your c:\windows\fonts directory for any suspicious fonts, such as recently added fonts, fonts with strange filenames, or very large file sizes. I hope this helps someone!